Epoxy resin ED-20. Diane-epoxy resin (uncured).
Epoxy resin ED-20 is a two-component unmodified transparent liquid epoxy-diane (based on bis-phenol A) of cold-cured general-purpose resin. Epoxy is cured at normal temperature using a wide range of hardeners.
Analogs of epoxy resin ED-20: Lapox B-13, CYD 128, Epoxy 520, BE128, LE 828
CAS. No: 25068-38-6 EU No:500-033-5
Epoxy resin ED-20 is the most versatile product among many epoxides. It is actively used in energy, radio-electronic industry, aircraft, shipbuilding, mechanical engineering, automotive, construction and repair, etc.:
- Component for electrical insulating compounds.
- Component of filling compounds.
- Component of impregnating compounds.
- Component of adhesives. Epoxy glue is suitable for almost all types of metals, wood, ceramics (porcelain, earthenware), rubbers, fabrics, polystyrene, glass, marble, stone, concrete, tile, etc .
- Sealant component.
- Component of paint and varnish materials.
- Component for the fiberglass production.
- Binder for the plastics and fiberglass manufacturing (fiberglass impregnation), carbon plastics.
- The basis of protective coatings (chemical resistant coatings).
- Base of self-leveling floors. Epoxy floors are effective in industrial premises, and in commercial facilities, in offices, and in private households.
- Component for the polymer concrete manufacturing.
- Jewelry and decorative items are made of epoxy resin.
- Epoxy resins provide the highest quality of adhesive joint and strength.
- The resin has very little shrinkage.
- The resin is well absorbed and forever forms a composite whole with many different materials.
- Epoxy coating has very low water absorption (max. 0,5%).
- Epoxy resin has a low viscosity .
- The curing time of the epoxy resin is controlled by a hardener application.
- Epoxy resin provides high strength of products.
- Epoxy resin provides excellent adhesive characteristics.
- Polymerized coating, the product does not emit toxic fumes, has no smell.
- Characterized by corrosion resistance.
- Heat conducting.
- Easy to mix with plasticizers, pigments and other modifiers and fillers.
- Epoxy resins are resistant to the action of halogens, most acids, alkalis, therefore it can be used as a chemically resistant barrier layer.
- Epoxy resin provides long-term protection to metal, steel and concrete products operating in highly corrosive environments and submerged in liquid.
Application methods. Working with epoxy resin
The resin and hardener bonding should be processed at a temperature of at least +20°C. Gelling time is about 1,5 hours, and the time of full curing is 24 hours.
Forbids to mix a large amount of resin with a hardener immediately, without using special mixing machines to avoid an effervescence.
When fiberglass products manufacturing, it is recommended to make a test sample for each batch of resin and hardener.
Heating considerably accelerates the curing process. As self-curing occurs with the calorification (heat emission), when preparing large dose of resin with a hardener, self-heating of the mixture is possible, accompanied by foaming and rapid solidification.
Epoxy resins are thermoplastic, but under the influence of various hardeners they are converted into non-meltable polymers. The resins curing process can occur at normal room temperature +20°C.
There are two ways to the resin temporarily viscosity decreasing: one is the heating of the mixture, and the second is the addition of a solvent.
The epoxy resin heating to +40°C - +50°C reduces the viscosity.
The resin with low viscosity is easier to apply with a brush or roller, it quickly impregnates fiberglass and penetrates deeper into porous surfaces like rot-damaged wood.
The hardener is added at a rate of 10% by weight of the resin (in proportion 10:1).
The non-cured diane epoxy resin ED-20 can be converted into a non-meltable and insoluble condition by the action of various type curing agents – aliphatic and aromatic di- and polyamines, low-molecular polyamides, di- and polycarboxylic acids and their anhydrides, phenol-formaldehyde resins and other compounds. Depending on the hardener used, the properties of the cured epoxy resin ED-20 can vary within the widest range. The most commonly used hardener is PEPA (polyethylene polyamine).
Epoxy resins can be modified chemically or physically to impart certain properties to the final coating.
Chemical methods for the modification of epoxy resins - the addition of reactive modifiers to the composition, which, being integrated into the polymer structure, changes its structure:
- To increase the elasticity of the cured epoxy resin, reduce the viscosity of the composition, make the products more dimensionally stable, increase the compressive strength of the material, laproxides (glycidyl ethers) are used.
- To improve the properties of heat and fire resistance, additives of halogen and organophosphorus compounds are used.
- To increase stiffness, wear resistance, and reduce the friction coefficient of coatings and products based on epoxy resins, the addition of phenol-formaldehyde resins is used, which allows curing the epoxy resin by direct heating without the hardener application.
Physical modification involves the addition to the resin of substances that do not enter into a chemical reaction with a binder:
- The addition of rubber to the epoxy resin increases the resilience of the cured resin.
- The addition of colloidal titanium dioxide increases the refractive index of the epoxy resin and makes it resistant to ultraviolet radiation.
- The aluminum powder in the epoxy resin increases the heat resistance.
- Aerosil additive improves thixotropy.
Epoxy-diane resin ED-20 is stored in tightly closed tare in closed warehouses at temperature not higher than +40⁰С.
The guaranteed shelf life in original container is 18 months.
Storage over the date specified on the label does not necessarily mean the product is unusable. In case if store more please check the properties of product before use.
- polymer canisters with a capacity of up to 25 dm3;
- polyethylene drums with a capacity of up to 50 dm3;
- steel barrels with a capacity of up to 200 dm3;
- steel barrels with a capacity of 220 dm3.
Precautionary measures: People who working with epoxy resin ED-20 must be provided with work wear and personal protective equipment. All activities while working with epoxy resins must be realized in the premises, equipped with flowing-exhaust ventilation.
ED-20 epoxy resin is explosion-proof, but burns when introduced into a fire source. Refers to substances of the 2nd hazard class according to the degree of impact on the human.Detailed instructions are given in the relevant product safety data sheet. It can be provided upon request.
- Additional information
Physical and chemical properties
|Parameter name and measure unit||Standard|
|Premium grade||First grade|
|Appearance||High-viscosity clear without visible mechanical impurities and water|
|Color, iron-cobalt scale, max||4||12|
|Content of epoxy groups, %||19.9-22.0||19.9-22.0|
|Content of chloride ion, %, max||0.003||0.006|
|Content of saponifiable chloride, %, max||0.5||0.9|
|Content of hydroxyl groups, %, max||1.7||-|
|Content of volatiles, %, max||0.5||0.9|
|Dynamic viscosity, P*s at +50°C||2-18||12-25|
|Gelling time with hardener, h, min||5.0||4.0|