Heat-resistant silicone resin KO-85
Heat-resistant silicone resin KO-85 is a toluene solution of polyphenyldimethylsiloxane resin modified with polybutyl methacrylate solution in mixture of acetone, ethyl acetate and butyl acetate, or xylene.
The resin is applicable for exterior and interior works on metal and wood. Used for long maintained coatings at temperature up to +400°C (up to +500°C at short-term exposure). KO-85 imparts the "wet stone" effect at stones, pavings.
Porous mineral construction materials:
- Silicone resin KO-85 is used for waterproofing, decorative and protective impregnation of porous mineral building materials:
- paving slabs and paving stones;
- stone (marble, granite);
- ceramics (tiles, bricks);
- concrete, foam concrete;
- cement, cement-fibrous materials, gypsum boards & blocks, etc.;
- brick, brick masonry;
- asbestos-cement boards, slates, etc.
- It is recommended for hydrophobization of bases and facades of residential buildings, industrial constructions, for the architectural monuments preservation.
- Resin KO-85 penetrates deeply into porous mineral bases and provides a powerful strengthening effect.
- KO-85 is used as a floor varnish. It is recommended for strengthening and dedusting of concrete floors, including industrial application, processing facades and bases of buildings, reinforced concrete industrial constructions and other structures before painting with acrylic organic-soluble paints.
- The varnish is great for decorative and protective coating of stoves, ovens, heaters and fireplaces.
- As a stone impregnation, KO-85, when applied in several layers, forms an independent weather-resistant protective and decorative coating with a “wet stone” effect for decorative stone, brickwork, paving slabs and other porous mineral surfaces.
- As a primer for concrete (and other porous mineral bases) for painting with silicone enamels KO-168K, KO-5102K.
- Protective coating of metal products and structures, that are operated at a temperatures of +200ºС and more. It is intended for anticorrosion protection of products exposed to high temperatures.
- As a metal protective lacqer, KO-85 is used in long-term exploited coatings at temperatures from -40ºС to +400ºС (short-term to +500ºС).
- KO-85 resin is used in the industrial sector for coating and protection of:
- exhaust systems and pipes of cars;
- parts of boilers, furnaces, incinerators, polymerization furnaces, pyrolysis furnaces, and other heating equipment;
- exhaust pipes, chimneys;
- the wires tails,
- pipelines, gas pipelines, oil pipelines, gas pipelines, steam pipelines.
- Also KO-85 is suitable for decorative products made of steel, copper, aluminum.
Production of heat-resistant enamel:
- For the manufacture of heat-resistant enamel KO-814, obtained by mixing of resin KO-85 and aluminum powder PAP-2. Enamel is intended for coating of products made of steel, titanium, aluminum alloys, operating at temperatures from -50ºС to +400ºС (long) and up to +500ºС (short exposure), like gas-steam lines, furnaces for waste burning, as well as for the cars exhaust systems, engine parts, etc. coating.
Coating of wood and chipboard surfaces:
- Heat-resistant silicon resin KO-85 can be applied for wood and wood-fiber materials (fiberboard, particleboard, OSB, plywood, etc.).
- For lacquering of wooden surfaces without polishing, as well as for damaged paintwork restoring.
- Resin KO-85 has a high heat resistance (used for coating of parts, continuously operating at +300°С - +400°С and up to +500ºС (short exposure).
- Increases the life-time of the surfaces.
- Imparts gloss, shine, creates the "wet stone" effect.
- Provides monuments preservation. KO-85 has a powerful strengthening effect.
- Penetrates deeply into porous bases.
- Performs the function of a priming and individual coating, when applied in several layers.
- Additionally, it may be coated by acrylic solvent-borne paints and silicone organic enamels (KO-168K, KO-5102K).
- Restores damaged paint coating.
- Lacquering provides a durability to the mechanical loads.
- Protects against water influence.
- Provides resistance to the effects of atmosphere and weather conditions.
- Treated surfaces acquire improved resistance to aggressive environments, petrol resistance. The treated surfaces demonstrate resistance to oils and lubricants.
- Enamel coating is resistant to short-term exposure of mineral oil, gasoline, kerosene, synthetic oils.
- Lacquer coating has dielectric properties.
- KO-85 resin coating has perfect adhesive properties.
Methods of application
Remove dust, dirt, iron oxides, rust and other contamination by any mechanical method, degrease with organic solvents.
Mechanical surface cleaning is performed to degree St 3 (by manual method) or SA2 - SA2.5 (by shot-blasting (sand-blasting) method) according to ISO 8501-1: 2007. This cleaning method allows to achieve the maximum effect of heat resistance and adhesion.
Resin (varnish) preparation:
When used as a water-repellent or primer for silicone enamels, resin KO-85 is diluted with a solvent in the following ratio: 1 part solvent to 2 parts of resin.
Recommended solvents for resin KO-85: xylene, toluene, solvent 646, solvent 647, solvent R-4, solvent R-5, solvent 130/150.
Before use, mix the resin thoroughly and hold it until the air bubbles released.
When applied to metal and wood surfaces, the resin is not diluted.
Resin is applied in 1-2 layers with a brush, roller, spray gun.
Drawing the subsequent layer is carried out after full drying of previous layer, but not earlier than in 24 hours.
Coating is performed on a dry, degreased surface at a temperature of ambient air and substrate from -30°C to +40°C and a relative humidity of max. 80%.
When painting at negative temperatures, to prevent the formation of frost and ice crust, it is necessary to ensure that the temperature of the painted surface is not less than 3°C above the dew point.
When pneumatically applied, the distance from the spray nozzle to the surface to be painted should be 200-300 mm, air pressure 1.5-2.5 kgf/cm2, nozzle diameter 1.8-2.5 mm. Application modes are determined depending on the operating conditions and the application equipment in each particular case.
Before coating, welds, butt edges, hard-to-reach places should be treated by resin KO-85 with the "band layer" method with brash.
Metal surfaces are coated in 2-3 cross layers with intermediate drying between layers “to tack-free” - 0.5-2.0 hours depending on the ambient temperature.
At negative ambient temperature, the exposure time is increased by 2-3 times.
Concrete, asbestos-cement, plastered, cement-sand surfaces are coated in three layers.
The drying time of the coating to degree 3 (“to tack-free”) at a temperature of +20°C is 3 hours.
The final drying time of the coating at a temperature of +20°C is not less than 24 hours.
Resin KO-85 cures completely when heated during treated equipment processing. The number of coating layers is determined by the thickness of the single-layer coating, which is obtained depending on the method of application, the total thickness of the coating and the polymerization conditions.
When operating the coating in aggressive environment (mineral oil, gasoline, salt fog), the coating heat hardening at a temperature of +250°C - +400°C for 15-20 minutes is recommended.
Consumption: from 60 g/m2 per layer of undiluted resin.
Attention! Works carried out in dry weather. The coating must be protected from moisture until it is completely dry.In case of non-polymerized resin water ingress may lead to coagulation of resin.
Store resin KO-85 in a sealed containers at temperatures from -30°С to +35°С. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place away from heaters, protect from moisture and direct sunlight.
The guaranteed shelf life in original container is 36 months.
Storage over the date specified on the label does not necessarily mean the product is unusable. In case if store more please check the properties of product before use.
- Steel barrels up to 200 liters.
The product is flammable; please follow fire safety instructions during work. The polymerized varnish film is nontoxic, fire-proof.
Precautionary measures: Keep away from fire! When carrying out painting works and after it’s finished, thoroughly ventilate the room. Rubber gloves should be worn to protect hands. The product remains should be disposed in the closed container in the organized collection points for household waste.
Detailed instructions are given in the relevant product safety data sheet. It can be provided upon request.
- Additional information
Silkor Ltd. is a wholesale supplier and manufacturer of silicone organic resins.To get a special offer or to buy a heat-resistant silicone resin, find out the current price in Ukraine or your domestic market, please, use any easy contact way:
Physical and chemical properties
|Parameter name and measure unit||Standard|
|Appearance||Clear liquid from light yellow to brown color, no visible mechanical impurities|
|Relative viscosityс by viscometer VZ-246 (or VZ-4), nozzle diameter4 mm, s||12-17|
|Mass content of solids, %||15-17|
|Acid number, mg KOH/g of resin, max.||3,0|
|Dryout time 3rd degree, minutes, max.||180|