Hydrophobic agent GKZH-11N
GKZH-11N is a concentrated aqueous solution of sodium methylsiliconate. Hydrophobic agent for surface and volumetric treatment of porous mineral bases. Used to impart water-repellent properties to various building materials.
Silicone liquid GKZH-11N is produced in two grades: GKZH-11N grade B and GKZH-11N grade V, which are distinguished by their physical and technical characteristics (see below for more details).
Synonyms: Sodium Methyl Siliconate
CAS. No: 16589-43-8
Hydrophobic agents GKZH-11N are designed for imparting water-repellent properties to moisture-absorbing materials. Water-repellent impregnation GKZH-11N is ideal for the treatment of surfaces made of brick, marble, tuff, stone, concrete, foam concrete, asbestos cement, slate, tiles, gypsum products, shell rock, mineral plasters, limestone, and other materials of similar type.
During carrying out construction and repair work in residential, public and industrial buildings and constructions, silicone fluids GKZH-11N are used as a water-repellent additive to concrete, plaster, as an plasticizer additive and air-entraining additive.
It is used in the manufacture of gypsum-fiber boards as a water-repellent and plasticizing additive.
It is used in the textile industry for treating yarns and fabrics to impart hydrophobic properties and resistance to chemicals as well.
In the field of oil and gas extraction, GKZH-11N is used for chemical treatment of drilling fluids in order to improve their structural and mechanical properties when drilling oil and gas wells and as an additive to grouting cement mortars.
Not suitable for wooden surfaces treatment. Covering the previously painted and glass subjects can lead to formation of spots.
It is exceptionally suitable for processing vertical and inclined surfaces on which liquid sediment and moisture condensate can be removed.
Waterproofing of building materials and surfaces:
- Suitable for external or surface and bulk treatment.
- It imparts the material excellent water repellency.
- Decrease in water absorption up to 25 times.
- GKZH-11N together with other additives in concrete improve the characteristics of concrete in the complex.
- Increases corrosion resistance.
- Increases frost resistance, crack resistance and light resistance.
- Prevents surface contamination.
- Preserves the appearance of the material, its gas permeability and breathability.
- Economically, as it is used in the form of an aqueous solution when the product is diluted more than 15 times with water.
- Increases the overall thermal insulation properties of buildings.
- Increases the life time of buildings and structures.
- Increases plasticity and ultimate strength of concrete, plaster and screed.
- Prevents materials from cracking.
- It protects, preventing the growth of microorganisms, lichens, fungi and mold on the surface of the material.
- It maintains its effectiveness for at least 4-5 years.
- It gives the material excellent water repellency.
- Prevents the appearance of "salt trace".
- It gives the material frost resistance.
- Imparts the material corrosion resistance.
- Gives light resistance to the material.
- Provides acid resistance.
- Prevents surface contamination.
- Does not change the appearance of the material.
- Keeps gas and air permeability.
Oil and gas production:
- Clay drilling fluid modifier.
- Increases lubricity.
- Reduces the flow of water into the drilling fluid.
- Reduces and stabilizes the viscosity of the drilling fluid.
- Increases the speed of well drilling.
- Increases the resource of wells.
- Reduces the water content of crude oil.
Materials processing with a hydrophobic composition GKZH-11N. The procedure for the waterproofing works.
Water-repellent treatment can be carried out in two ways: surface hydrophobization, volumetric (bulk) hydrophobization.
What is hydrophobization?
1. Surface hydrophobization is the treatment with a water-repellent liquid (impregnation) of porous mineral building materials on their surface using a brush or spraying to impart moisture resistance, protect walls, facades, foundations, roofing and floor surfaces of concrete, brick, ceramics, asbestos cement from destruction, in order to increase the service life of buildings and constructions, as the surface treated with a water-repellent liquid practically does not absorb water and is not polluted by precipitation.
The surface hydrophobization of the coatings with water-repellent impregnation GKZH-11N is effective for 4-5 years.
It is recommended to repeat the treatment with GKZH-11N solutions every 2-4 years.
Hydrophobic processing is subject to masonry, wall panels, cement and concrete screeds (floors), limestone, porous stone, slate, tiles, plaster coatings, paving slabs.
Surface preparation: Remove flaking particles that are loosely bound with the base, remove dust and other contaminants. It is recommended to clean the surface using high-pressure washers, steam cleaner, water jet or mechanically. After wet cleaning, allow the surface to dry. Application is recommended on a dry, clean, dust-free surface.
Preparation of the working solution: silicone liquid GKZH-11N is diluted with water immediately before use:
1 liter of water repellent liquid GKZH-11N should be diluted in approximately 10 liters of water.
Before using, it is recommended to make trial processing on a small area of the surface or on a single element. When using GKZH-11N, white efflorescence (salt traces) may form on the surface, therefore it is suitable only for treatment of surfaces, which do not have high aesthetic requirements.
Dilution of the working solution can be made only in the case of treatment of surface with low moisture absorption. The recommended volume of the prepared water repellent agent at one time should be no more than the expense for the one-day working period. If necessary to save the working solutions for a longer time (3-4 days), they should be placed in a well-sealed glass or plastic container.
Application method for surface treatment:
Water repellent agent is applied by dipping and using a paint brush, roller or spray. Keep in mind that surface spraying treatment can lead to consumption increasing.
Surfaces which are not subject to treatment should be closed in order to protect them from unwanted exposure of the agent.
Hydrophobic impregnation GKZH-11N in the solution form is applied to a dry cleaned surface until it is absorbed, avoiding smudges, leaving no drops. It is not allowed to carry out works on the hydrophobization of walls during the rain, as well as after the rain, before the textured layer dries. If an uneven coating is a result of treatment with a liquid, or applied on a porous surface, the treatment should be repeated, but only immediately after the application of the first layer, that is, on a still wet surface. In case if that immediately after the completion of the work it rained, the water-repellent treatment of the surface should also be repeated.
After drying, the moisture absorbency of the treated surface is minimized, so, if you continue to apply, can cause stains. Therefore, further processing of the already dried surface should be avoided. In the course of application, in order to prevent the appearance of stains, follow uniform and complete absorption of the liquid. The possible appearance of stains does not mean a decrease in water-repellent effect.
Works should be carried out at a temperature not lower than +5°С.
A contravention of the specified technology (working solution preparation and application), repeated processing on the dried layer, excess of the applied solution, can lead to the appearance of white stains on the treated surface.
Consumption depends on the porosity of the processed material and the method of application, and on average is 0,35 l/m2 of working solution.
Water repellent treatment is recommended to carry out at dry weather at the temperature of +5°C to +25°C. A full drying time at the temperature of +20°C is not more than 24 hours, at a lower temperature, drying slows down and may take longer.
2. Volumetric hydrophobization is the imparting of moisture-proof properties to building materials by initiation a hydrophobic additive directly into the cement paste (in concrete) in the production of building materials, plaster, basement, etc.
Additive GKZH-11N in the solution for the bulk waterproofing is initiated during the preparation of plaster, cement, concrete solutions, gypsum mixtures and gypsum-fiber boards performs a range of other functions:
- Hydrophobic additive GKZH-11N in concrete reduces water absorption and water permeability, eliminates capillary leakage.
- GKZH-11N is a water reducing additive in concrete, which reduces water consumption for a solution by 1.5 times.
- GKZH-11N is a clogging additive that increases the grade of concrete by impermeability.
- GKZH-11N is a plasticizer of II, III, IV groups for concrete.
- GKZH-11N is an additive that increases the strength of concrete, plaster and screed.
- GKZH-11N is an additive that increases the frost resistance of concrete of normal hardening and asphalt pavements, regardless of their composition and type of binder (antifreeze additives to concrete).
- GKZH-11N neutralizes acids contained in solutions.
Silicone liquid GKZH-11N is added to the mixing water directly in the preparing of building mixtures.
To reduce water absorption, about 0.2-0.4% of GKZH-11N from the amount of binder (cement, lime or gypsum) is sufficient.
The effectiveness of the water repellent agent depends on the quantitative and qualitative composition of the building mixture, so it is always necessary to conduct preliminary tests to determine the optimal amount of silicone liquid GKZH-11N.
In the production of gypsum-fiber boards it is used in accordance with the technology of the manufacturer of the plates.
Store at temperatures from -30°C to +30°C in original containers separately from acids. Protect from direct sunlight.
Do not store in containers painted inside, as well as containers made of aluminum or other light metals.
The guaranteed shelf life is 12 months.
Storage over the date specified on the label does not necessarily mean the product is unusable. In case if store more please check the properties of product before use.
- drums polyethylene up to 50 dm3;
- barrels combined (steel – polyethylene) up to 200 dm3;
- special containers (IBC) up to 1 m3.
Water repellent liquids GKZH are non-toxic, fireproof, but have alkaline properties. Use rubber gloves, goggles, respirator during works. Spraying should be processing from the windward side.
Detailed instructions are given in the appropriate product safety data sheet. It can be provided upon request.
- Additional information
Silkor Ltd. is a large-scale supplier and manufacturer of silicone organic hydrophobic agents. To get a special offer or to buy a water-repellent agent, find out the current price in Ukraine or your domestic market, please, use any easy contact way:
Physical and chemical properties
|Parameter name and measure unit||Standard grade B||Standard grade V|
|Appearance||Colorless to light brown liquid, turbidity allowed||Light yellow to brown liquid|
|Density at temperature (+20±0,5)°С g/cm3||1,17-1,30||1,14-1,30|
|Mass content of non volatile substance, %||25-35||23-33|
|Alkalinity, based on the NaOH, %||13-17||max. 17|
|Water repellent ability||Pass the test||Pass the test|